Dear Christian Sisters and Brothers,
Who can counter the #shoutyourabortion movement? Those of us who #shoutyourabortionregret!
Why? Because we know how the abortion-minded think, and we’ve experienced the same pain.
Why? Because abortion hurts women.
Abortion hurt me, and I didn’t even realize it. Thirteen years after my abortion, I chose to allow Christ to be close to me. Fourteen years after my abortion, Jesus quietly, gently, kindly spoke to me about my abortion.
Although I initially denied that the abortion was my fault, I did ultimately accept responsibility. It was then that I started to become alive. I realized that I had been walking through life dead—I looked alive. I acted alive. But I was dead inside, and I didn’t even realize it.
King David explains this “walking dead” experience well in Psalm 32:3-5, which he wrote after he had Bathsheba’s husband killed.
He described heaviness and how his vitality was drained away. Looking back, that describes my post-abortion experience well—but I didn’t even realize it until God began healing me.
Yet when I shared my story with other Christians, I felt like I got the Christian cold shoulder, so I stopped telling people.
With the exception of one testimony that I gave right before moving out-of-state, I was silent for a dozen years.
Then God called me to speak boldly (Isaiah 58:1), so I began speaking and writing, and the Lord healed me even more. It took me a total of 31 years after my abortion to be completely healed.
And today, I have my joy back!
Now I realize that Christians don’t know how to respond to my abortion—they didn’t when I first told my story, and they don’t today.
Perhaps that’s why you or your friend has not spoken up. Perhaps your friend doesn’t know how you’ll respond. Perhaps your friend is afraid of your judgment.
- Give her a hug!
- Tell him that there are healing classes available, even for men.
- Remind her that God loves her deeply, and He just wants her back as His beloved daughter and made whole.
- Compliment both women and men for being brave by telling you!
And we know that shedding innocent blood is an abomination to God (Prov 6:17).
- Let’s welcome women and men who are willing to #shoutyourabortionregret with the loving arms of Jesus, who lives in us.
- Let’s be part of their story of redemption.
- Let’s guide those who are not yet whole to post-abortion healing classes, offered through your local Christian pregnancy resource center or your church.
- Let’s cheer them on in their race to the finish line.
Let’s use the Christ-love that lives in us to encourage and empower post-abortive women and men to shout their abortion regret!