Dear Christian Sisters and Brothers,
Last year on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade—January 22, 2019—New York announced its late-term abortion law. They lit up their city in pink. We weren’t ready. Will we be ready for what happens this year?
Last year, everyone was surprised that any state would allow abortion right up to birth, but what they didn’t realize is that New York was not the first to make late-term abortion legal.
Then thanks to Virginia Governor Northam, it became very clear that abortion is murder. (Listen starting at minute 38 to WTOP’s Ask the Governor with Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam – Jan. 30, 2019.) It no longer matters whether the baby is in the womb or birthed. If the baby is unwanted, then it’s okay to murder her.
With that revelation, the undecided suddenly started paying attention to the debate.
We have spent this last year debating, arguing, and fighting about whether abortion should be legal.
Many states have liberalized their abortion laws.
Many states have made their abortion laws more conservative.
Are We Ready for the New Year & Sanctity of Life Month?
Once again, Sanctity of Life Month is upon us. Are we ready? Do we know how to talk…
- to those who have not yet decided whether they are pro-life or pro-choice?
- about the value of life while being kind?
(speaking the truth in love!)
- about the value of life without talking politics?
As soon as we talk about abortion, people put us into a political conversation, assuming that we are all Republicans.
We are so divided politically. And some people think Republicans are heartless. Some people think we must get all of our social programs in order before we can end the legalization of abortion and assume that all Republicans are against social programs.
I hate politics because my elected officials don’t represent me. They represent their platform and the money that paid their way into office. I am not a Republican. I am not a Democrat. I refuse to choose any political party, but I always vote pro-life because if we don’t value life in the womb then we aren’t going to value the lives of those who need social programs (and my siblings are two of them—read ReTested for that story).
But I do support the Democrats for Life of America because I believe they are the key to changing laws. But they need more money than the Planned Parenthood lobbyists who pay for late-term abortion legislation.
We must remember that the goal is not to convert people to a political party. The goal is to make disciples, which includes teaching Christ’s ways (Matthew 28:19-20). When people love Christ, they value life. When they value life, our politics will change.
We must start with Christians. As many as 36% of abortions are by women who go to church at least once per month (“Abortion and the Church” by Care Net). It doesn’t matter which denomination. That number needs to be zero. We’re arrogant if we think God will rescue our country when we Christians don’t value life.
Teaching Christ’s Ways
We must stop pointing fingers and start teaching.
- Can you point to more than Psalm 139?
- Can you explain that Jesus was against abortion?
- Can you point to verses in the New Testament?
- Can you explain what abortion does spiritually to women and men who choose it?
- Do you teach men (of every generation) to support and parent their children?
- Are you talking to men about their responsibilities in this battle?
- Are you praying for the end of sex trafficking?
- Are you teaching men and women to stay away from porn?
- Are you teaching the sanctity of sex to your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors, and Sunday School students?
- Is your heart prepared?
- Are your prayers effective?
What is the Lord asking you to do in this battle for life?
Your New Year’s Resolution
Let me suggest two things:
- Make prayer and Worship to End Abortion your New Year’s resolution. The Worship to End Abortion: 40 Daily Prayers booklet provides you with sample prayers.Join the MybodyMyworship Group on Facebook to learn, pray, and worship together starting this Friday at 8:30 pm ET.
Not on Facebook? Tell me in the comments below.
- Send me your questions about how to respond to what people say. I’ll use your questions and my recommended responses as blog posts, and then we can all support each other with suggestions in the comments.
Thank you for supporting life for defenseless babies and for the lost women and men who are scared, whose hearts are veiled, who are blind to the evil one and his schemes.